Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Answering the Fool, Part II



Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Or you will also be like him.
Answer a fool as his folly deserves,
That he not be wise in his own eyes.
                                Proverbs 26:4-5, NASB

The two verses present a paradox and yesterday I asked for your understanding. Thanks to those who answered. Here’s what one person said:
Don’t know how I would answer that because I kept stumbling over the last sentence “That he not be wise in his own eyes.” Isn’t that all of us at some point or another?? Feel that we know. “Don’t need You on this one God, I’ve got it covered” and yet unbeknownst to us we are lost. As I grow older I’m beginning to think that the less I say the better.
I like that. 
We must put our answer (interpretation) in the context of the gist of Proverbs – the wise fear the Lord and the fool has no fear (respect, reverence) for Him (Proverbs 1:7). So, my simple interpretation is… don’t argue with a fool (or you will be like him, foolish) but don’t let him get away with his antics because he or others may think that he is right – there is always truth that the fool rarely sees and understands. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment